Saturday, August 29, 2009

$5 Binning...


There is a tale, I kid you not, about a man, who made a journey that he never expected to go down as one of the greatest binning explorations in history. Now before we go further I must explain binning for those of you who are unfamiliar with the art form.

The only reason I feel warrants a trip to Wal-Mart is to go binning. Each Wal-Mart I have ever visited has a $5 movie bin, filled, sometimes to the very tip top with movies old and new, good and bad, classics and straight-to-DVD. Now to fully commit to binning one must arrive with the intention of reaching the bottom, no matter how it may look to others. Even if there is already someone hap-hazardly rummaging through upon your arrival, your must not back away scared. Plant your feet, plunge your hands in and begin searching, even if you intrude on others. You have a goal - to find the best $5 movies possible- come hell or high water.

Now you don’t always need to reach the bottom to succeed in your mission. Sometimes its easy to find the gem your looking for, other times you leave empty handed. It is the risk you take.

My last attempt binning was a fail. The bin was full of straight-to-DVD releases and old westerns, as well as a large amount of Spanish language films. I left saddened. But a few days later I received a phone call from a friend. He had been binning and returned with one of the greatest hauls I had ever heard of.

I have had my share of successful missions returning with Trading Places, Van Wilder and Swingers. But my friend called me with a haul that toped every binning quest I had been on. He left with a $25 haul. FIVE MOVIES!!! Incredible. They were - Spiderman 1, My Cousin Vinny, American Beauty, Dumb and Dumber and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. The names speak for themselves. This binning exploration took 15 minutes. He committed, he succeeded and will go down in history as one of the best binnings ever. Thank you G for setting a standard for everyone else to live up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment